Associate Scientist Biochemistry @ Neon Therapeutics, Cambridge, MA: Neon Therapeutics is an immuno-oncology company focused on developing novel therapeutics leveraging neoantigen biology to treat cancer. The Company utilizes its expertise in bioinformatics, neoepitope prediction and immune monitoring to identify tumor specific mutations and monitor clinical response to their personalized vaccines. Neon Therapeutics’ lead program is NEO-PV-01, a bespoke neoantigen vaccine that builds upon years of research and development at the Broad Institute and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. NEO-PV-01 is now being studied in a Phase 1b clinical trial combining the vaccine with Opdivo®, a PD-1 immune checkpoint inhibitor from Bristol-Myers Squibb, in patients with measurable metastatic melanoma, non-small cell lung cancer and bladder cancer. Also in development are NEO-PTC-01, a bespoke autologous T cell therapy, and a Shared Neoantigen Program leveraging neoepitopes that are common across patients and tumor types.
In addition, Neon has established strategic partners in CRISPR, Merck, and Apexigen to harness opportunities for combination therapies. By the end of 2018, it is anticipated there will be multiple clinical programs utilizing Neon’s platform.
Neon Therapeutics was incubated and launched by Third Rock Ventures and raised a $55M Series A in 2015 and more recently a $106M Series B in December 2017.
Neon is seeking a highly motivated Associate Scientist to join Neon’s Biochemistry group. The candidate will work within the biochemistry group to support Neon’s inaugural personalized cancer vaccine trial NEO-PV-01 with critical protein reagents for downstream immunological assays. In addition, the candidate will help to develop new biochemistry technologies and assays in the field of antigen presentation.
At Neon, our Culture is well defined and we live by our Core Values:
- Patients: Urgently develop life-changing medicines
- People: Listen/Learn/Teach
- Science: Creative/Rigorous/Uncompromising
- Tenacity: Persevere/Build Neon to last
- Pioneer: Leave the comfort zone/Create the future
- Integrity: Do RIGHT
Job responsibilities include:
- Expression of recombinant proteins in bacterial and eukaryotic cells, as well as development and optimization of expression systems and conditions.
- Protein purification by affinity, ion-exchange, size-exclusion chromatography.
- Characterization of protein purity, activity and yield.
- Design and construction of DNA plasmids for protein expression, purification, and assay development (e.g. fusion proteins, mutations).
- Protein refolding from inclusion bodies, high-throughput screening for folding conditions and biological activity.
- Perform ELISA and other biochemical assasys.
- Enzymatic labeling (biotinylation, fluorescent labeling) of proteins to generate and provide protein reagents to other departments for downstream assays.
- Improvement of current processes and implementation of new technologies.
- Analysis and presentation of results to larger scientific groups.
- Work productively in a team environment and independently and deliver against timelines.
- Keep very well documented electronic lab notebook.
Experience and essential skills:
- The candidate must have a MS in biochemistry, biotechnology, biological science and 2+ years of relevant research experience.
- Strong experience in protein purification techniques such as affinity, ion exchange, gel filtration.
- Strong experience in protein characterization techniques such as SDS-PAGE, Western blot, ELISA, SEC is required.
- Deep understanding and hands-on-experience in molecular cloning
- Familiarity with Äkta purification and HPLC systems is preferred.
- Excellent organizational, communication skills and a pro-active mentality.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain inventories of equipment, supplies, and related research materials.
- Ability to effectively work on a team but also independently.
- Broad understanding of cellular and molecular biology.
- Basic understanding of immunology
- Experience with bioanalytical techniques, such as DSF, SEC-MALS.
- Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
- Job ID: 39431827
- Posted: April 23, 2018
- Position Title: Associate Scientist Biochemistry
- Company Name: Neon Therapeutics
- Job Function: Biochemistry
- Job Type: Full-Time
How to Apply: If you are ready for the next step in your career and want to work on cutting-edge science in a dynamic, fun environment, please explore our open positions. To apply, please send your resume to [email protected]. In the subject line please note the position for which you are applying.
Associate Scientist Biochemistry @ Neon Therapeutics, Cambridge, MA