Tenure track research professor, Functional genomics – 2019ZAPFGGWEX025
As part of its dynamic research policy and supported by the possibilities offered by the Flemish Government through the resources of the Special Research Fund (BOF), the Faculty of Medicine and Health Science is seeking to fill a full-time vacancy in the Department of Medical Genetics for a
Tenure track research professor (TTZAPBOF) in the area of functional genomics
The research group Medical Genetics wishes to strengthen its research activities in the field of functional genomics. Development of functional validation models, in particular animal models (including mouse, zebrafish) and induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSC), is essential to link current advanced molecular research with personalized medicine in clinical practice. Within the Medical Genetics research group, extensive expertise exists in the development and application of next-generation sequencing for gene discovery and (pathogenic) variant identification. The further development of a specific area of expertise in the functional validation of genetic variants as well as the identification of genetic modifiers, using state-of-the-art genomics and transcriptomics in mouse and iPSC models, will be of great value for our current NGS pipeline and will add a translational character to our existing basic research.
- You develop research at an internationally competitive level. We expect you to further consolidate and expand your expertise in functional validation. Starting from the existing constellations and partnerships within the “omics” domain of the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences (proteomics, metagenomics, epigenomics, radiomics …), you will look for new collaborations and strive for the development of innovative methods to answer research questions.
- You acquire and manage resources to realize projects, recruit PhD students and guide them in their research.
- In addition to this scientific task package, the assignment will also consist of a limited participation in the educational programs and teaching services of the faculty for a period of five years.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a PhD degree in (bio-)medical sciences, biochemistry or biotechnology.
- You have a minimum of 2 years postdoc experience at the closing date of the vacancy.
- You have an international academic CV and perform qualitatively outstanding academic research in the broader field of the involved domain.
- The focus in your teaching corresponds to the educational vision of the university.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- You have leadership skills (or the potential to develop them).
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- You have active oral and written knowledge of English and Dutch (or you will be able to acquire them in short term).
- Extension to recommendation:
- Experience in leading research and/or supervising PhD students, with demonstrable (co-) promotorship of current or completed PhD theses;
- Experience with the writing and acquisition of (funded) subsidy applications; including PhD and postdoc fellowships;
- International visibility, for e.g. by oral presentations at international congresses;
- International mobility, through demonstrable research stays in research institutes external to the institution with the highest academic degree;
- Involvement in scientific services within and/or outside the academic institute of appointment;
- Expertise in the field of cardiogenetics and/or skeletal dysplasias;
- Experience with next-generation sequencing data analysis (genome/exome sequencing), as well as with mouse and/or iPSC work.
- a full-time position as a lecturer in a temporary appointment in the tenure track for a term of five years. This position will lead to an immediate permanent appointment as a senior lecturer if the performance is assessed favourably on the basis of previously fixed and publicly announced evaluation criteria;
- in case of equal qualifications, priority will be given to candidates of the underrepresented gender within the domain of science. This priority is not automatically and unconditionally; as the evaluation will always take into account the personal situation of every candidate;
- the date of appointment will be at the earliest the 1st of October 2019;
- a full time gross monthly salary ranging from € 4.255,06 – € 6.272,13;
- an attractive starter package consisting of a four-year doctoral scholarship and € 50,000 consumables;
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online, until the closing date 24 March 2019.
- The application form must be completed, including a detailed research proposal(mandatory) for the next five years (approx. 5 000 words; including a concise description (1 page) of the intended PhD research (see starter package)) and a reportof your previous scientific research activities (max. 5 000 words). In addition, you add two abstracts of the scientific content of the research plan – a scientific abstract and an abstract in layman’s terms –maximum 500 words (or max. 4000 characters). All documents must be submitted in English.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- More information about the application form can be obtained from [email protected].
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. Dr Geert Mortier tel +32-(0)3-275.97.64.
- Further information regarding the special research status can be obtained from Dr. Tim Engels, Head of the Department of Research Affairs & Innovation (Tel. +32 (0)3 265 30 12).
View Original Notification: https://www.uantwerpen.be/en/jobs/vacancies/ap/2019zapfggwex025/
Functional Genomics Research Professor Job @ Antwerp Belgium