MSc / PhD Scientist III Position | Biochemistry / Biophysics @ Thermo Fisher: Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 70,000 employees globally. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity.
Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
About Team: Recombinant Protein Production Team
Role & Responsibilities
Purpose: – Foster innovation and antibody development using cutting edge recombinant protein expression and purification technologies in a high-throughput environment. This role is for a team lead position where the Senior Scientist would be responsible for leading a recombinant protein and operations support function to purify recombinant antigens and antibodies at a moderate industrial scale. The team lead will also act as the technical expert and be the spokesperson on bringing in cutting-edge technologies to enhance scale for different recombinant antigen/antibody expression projects.
Upstream Antigen Process
- Supervising and mentoring a team involved in antigen production using various recombinant protein expression/ purification methodologies (affinity, IEC, SEC etc.) and bacterial, insect or mammalian cell culture systems
- Initiate, plan and execute routine workflow.
- Reviewing data generated from routine analytical techniques for protein purification and purity (column chromatograpy, HPLC and Akta systems)
- Troubleshooting expression failures on a routine basis and exploring alternate systems
- Keeping abreast with advancements and next-gen technologies in the protein purification field
Downstream Antibody Process
- Routine Protein A or Protein G based affinity chromatography or antigen-specific chromatography to purify monoclonal or polyclonal antibodies using high throughput AKTA prime systems
- Monitoring calibration log, instruments operation and cleaning log
- Responsible for data integrity and accuracy.
- Deliver high quality results according to project schedule in support of product commercialization during early feasibility, development, validation phases.
- Facilitate and monitor product launch.
- Conduct routine lab meetings and reviews
- Review QC documents, batch records and GMP
- Batch SOP revision and uploading
- Ensure handover of finished products to downstream packaging team
- Supervising shipment and document initiation of the final product
Education & Experience levels:
- Applicants should have a Masters with 7 + years industrial experience or a PhD with 2 + years of experience in the area of biochemistry or biophysics integrated with cell biology, molecular biology, immunology or related fields. Experience in various recombinant protein expression and purification methodologies and exposure to a high-throughput work environment is a must.
• GLP, GMP or any other certification in laboratory practices, EHS certification and certification in implementing and handling automation will be considered as a bonus
Nature of experience:
- Prior demonstrated success leading small teams.
- Proven track record in antigen design, different methodologies of recombinant DNA construction, protein expression, affinity, monoclonal and polyclonal antibody scale-up with a focus on automation and high-throughput protein purification systems
- Experience in assessing the scientific talent of a team, re-design roles as needed, and develop and recruit scientific talent
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with and influence colleagues on cross-functional teams
- Understanding of protein structures and modifications.
- Has extensive experience in protein purification and biophysical methods.
- In depth knowledge of protein expression systems (bacterial, insect and mammalian), vectors, tags, chromatography techniques
- Has experience working in a high-throughput environment and should have demonstrated multi-tasking abilities for routine purification of proteins at a high scale.
- Has extensive molecular cloning, recombinant protein expression and purification experience using different systems.
- Should have experience in preparation of competent cells (for use in chemical or electroporation based transformation)
- Strong understanding and at least 5 years or more hands-on experience of protein purification using systems like AKTAprime and purity analysis using HPLC, UPLC etc.
- Should have 5 years or more of industrial experience in downstream antibody scale-up and purification using protein A/G affinity purification
- Should be well-versed with various formulations and chemical compositions for antibody preservation and stability. Industrial experience of 3 years or more is a must.
- Should have a clear understanding and laboratory skills in the area of immunoassays like western blot, ELISA, and immunofluorescence
- GMP experience, QC documentation, batch records and QPS
- Prior experience with audits and ISO or equivalent certifications is a must.
- Experience with inventory management.
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals would be a bonus. Good understanding of research projects using standard techniques and protocols
- Should be a good team player, ready to learn new techniques and innovative thinker.
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
MSc / PhD Scientist III Position | Biochemistry / Biophysics @ Thermo Fisher
You migh be interested in this as well: https://www.biochemadda.com/biochemistry-jobs-usa-scientist-position-merck/