PhD Biotechnology Admission 2017 | PhD Programme in Biology/Chemistry @ IISER Tirupati: The PhD programme at IISER Tirupati is starting from August 2017. It involves a combination of coursework, teaching assistantship along with a major research component. IISER Tirupati admits students to its doctoral programme in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics and associated inter-disciplinary areas of research.
PhD Biotechnology Admission 2017 | PhD Programme in Biology/Chemistry @ IISER Tirupati
Students with a Master’s degree in Science / Mathematics or a four-year Bacherlor degree with at least 60% marks (aggregate) are encouraged to apply to our PhD programme. In addition to the qualifying degree, we expect the students to have qualified a national examination such as CSIR-UGC NET/GATE/JEST/NBHM/JGEEBILS, etc. depending on their area of research interest. Students will be selected to the PhD programme based on their performance in the interviews, which will be conducted once eligible candidates are shortlisted.
Please note that the precise eligibility criterion for August 2017 admissions may vary from department to department and are announced in the links given below. Information about individual faculty profiles and areas of research can be obtained from the IISER Tirupati website.
- Only online applications will be accepted. Applicants can submit their forms for their respective departments in the following links:
- The candidates must carefully fill and submit the online application form on or before the specified date.
- After the last date, all applications will be screened and candidates selected for interviews will be intimated by email.
Eligibility Criteria: Ph.D. Programme in Biology
- Minimum 60% marks in aggregate (overall percentage; not only in majoring subject) or CGPA 6 out of 10 point scale (55% or equivalent CGPA in aggregate for SC/ST and PD candidates) in Master’s Degree in any branch of Science Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics/Biological Sciences/Ecology & Environmental Sciences/Agricultural Sciences/ Biodiversity/Psychology or equivalent. B.E/B.Tech/M.Tech/M.VSc or MBBS degree holders may also apply.
- In addition to the above criteria, the candidate must have qualified any ONE of the following exams:
- JGEEBILS exam.
- National Eligibility Test (NET) with VALID* CSIR-JRF / UGC-JRF
- DBT-JRF-A / ICMR-JRF / DBT-BINC
- CSIR/UGC NET-LSa* or DAE-JESTb*or GATEb* or GPATb* or NBHM in last two years
- INSPIRE-Ph.D. fellowship (Should be in possession of Provisional Selection Letter at the time of Interview)
- IISER BS-MS (All IISERs) Dual degree students and exceptional 4 year BS students (CGPA >= 7.0)
Rank/CGPA cut-offs for some of the aforementioned qualifying exams:
a*. For CSIR-LS rank-holders, up to rank 200 are eligible (date of passing should be in the previous two years).
b*. For DAE-JEST/GATE/GPAT rank-holders, up to rank 600 (GATE Life Sciences) are eligible. No cut-off for GATE Ecology.
* The scores/ranks must be valid at least till September 01 of the year of application, and the admission criteria can change next year.
Eligibility Criteria: PhD Programme in Chemistry
- Students with minimum 60% marks in aggregate (overall percentage; not only in majoring subject) or CGPA 6 out of 10 point scale (55% or equivalent CGPA in aggregate for SC/ST and PD candidates) in Master’s Degree in any branch of Science: Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics/Biology or equivalent. Candidates with B.E/B.Tech/B.Pharm/M.E/M.Tech/M.Pharm degree satisfying the above criteria of marks can also apply. Additionally, the candidate MUST have qualified any ONE of the following exams:-
- Qualified National Eligibility Test (NET) with VALID* CSIR-JRF/UGC-JRF
- CSIR/UGC NET-LS (Date of passing should be from Year 2015 / 2016 onwards)
- INSPIRE-Ph.D. fellowship (Should possess Provisional Selection Letter at the time of Interview)
- JEST/GATE/GPAT qualified*
* The scores/ranks MUST be valid at least till September 01, 2017
- IISER BS-MS (All IISERs) Dual degree students (CGPA >= 7.0)
- All communication with candidates will be by email only.
- Kindly check this website for periodic updates.
- In case of any application-related queries, please contact the respective departments at:
with your application number mentioned in the subject line.
- Candidates who are appearing or are about to appear for final examinations of the qualifying degree program are eligible to apply for PhD program. However, if selected, admission to the PhD program would be conditional upon their completing the qualifying degree with the defined marks criteria, before 1st August 2017.
- Selection will be based on interviews of the short-listed candidates.
- Relaxation of eligibility criteria for SC/ST and PD applicants will be as per Government of India norms. Candidates belonging to reserved category will have to submit relevant certificates if selected.
- Applying does not automatically guarantee that a candidate will be shortlisted for interview. The respective departments may use additional criteria (based on academic performance and/or performance in the national level tests) in order to shortlist candidates for interviews depending on the number of applications received.