PhD Molecular Biology Research Fellow Jobs @ UiB | Norway. The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.Sars International Centre for Marine Molecular Biology (Sars Centre) is situated at the Marineholmen campus together with other research institutes at the University. The Sars Centre is partner with European Molecular Biological Laboratory (EMBL) in Heidelberg, Germany and is organized directly under the Rector at UiB.
PhD Molecular Biology Research Fellow Jobs @ UiB | Norway
Research Fellow (PhD candidate) in Evolutionary Neurobiology
There is a vacancy for a PhD position at the Sars International Centre for Marine Molecular Biology (www.sars.no/) affiliated with the project “Neural Circuits and Behaviour in Ciona”. The Sars Centre belongs to the University of Bergen and is partner with The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) www.embl.de/. The position is in collaboration with the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences at the University of Bergen. The place of work will be at the Sars Centre. The position is available immediately.
About the project/work tasks:
The research group, headed by Marios Chatzigeorgiou, studies the evolution and function of the nervous system using as model organisms the ascidian Ciona intestinalis. The group is particularly interested in studying the molecular and cellular basis of sensory transduction. The project addresses the development and specification of different cells types involved in mediating the mechanosensory and chemosensory behaviours in C. intestinalis.
The development and specification of mechanosensory and chemosensory neurons will be studied using techniques such as live imaging, calcium imaging, electrophysiology, in situ hybridization, genome editing and transgenic reporters. Follow up studies will involve isolation of specific cell types using FACS and MACS for transcriptome analysis. The successful candidate will work in close association with the group leader and other lab members with the aim to eventually contribute to the further development of development of the project in line with his/her interests.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a master’s degree or the equivalent in a biological field, or must have submitted the master’s thesis for evaluation before expiry of the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the master’s degree has been awarded
- Experience in basic molecular biology and embryology methods is essential while an interest in functional neurobiology or genomics is desirable
- Prior experience in working with Ciona intestinalis is essential
- Ability to work both independently and in close collaboration with others in a structured manner
- Proficiency in both written and oral English
About the PhD position:
The fellowship position is for a fixed term of 4 years, of which 25% will comprise obligatory duties associated with research, teaching and dissemination of results. The employment period may be reduced if you have previously been employed as a research fellow/research assistant or the like.
About the research training:
As a PhD Candidate, you must participate in an approved educational programme for a PhD degree within a period of 3 years. A final plan for the implementation of the research training must be approved by the faculty within three months after you have commenced in the position. It is a condition that you satisfy the enrolment requirements for the PhD programme at the University of Bergen.
We can offer:
- A professional, challenging and international working environment.
- Well equipped and modern laboratories
- Salary at pay grade 50 upon appointment (Code 1017), currently NOK 430.500 gross p.a. Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise).
- Good welfare benefits.
Your application in English must include:
- A brief account of the applicant’s research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The names and contact information for two reference persons. One of these must be the main advisor for the master’s thesis or equivalent thesis.
- Transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor’s and master’s degrees, or official confirmation that the master’s thesis has been submitted.
- Relevant certificates/references.
- List of publications or other relevant scientific work
- The application and appendices with certified translations into English must be uploaded at Jobbnorge. Please note that applications will be assessed only with the information available in JobbNorge when the deadline expires. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all relevant attachments are submitted by the deadline.
Applications by e-mail only will not be considered.
Application Deadline: 24 July 2016
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting Group Leader Dr. Marios Chatzigeorgiou, tlf +47 55 58 43 58, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
View Original Notification: https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/127529/research-fellow-phd-candidate-in-evolutionary-neurobiology