PhD Program | 10 PhD positions @ International Max Planck Research School for Evolutionary Biology: The International Max Planck Research School for Evolutionary Biology is offering up to 10 doctoral positions and fellowships. The deadline for applications is 23 April 2017.
The graduate program starts with a rotation period of three months followed by a doctoral project of three years including seminars, courses and workshops. The language of the graduate school is English. Financial support is provided throughout the program.
PhD Program | 10 PhD positions @ International Max Planck Research School for Evolutionary Biology
The following projects are offered in the graduate school this year.
For further information on the projects, please click on the name of the group leader who is offering this project either above the project title or in the left column.
For further information on the research groups of interest, please click on the name of the respective group leader in the right column (faculty home pages).
- New methods for inferring selection in proteins
- Computational Genomics
- The role of sexual communication and chromosomal rearrangements in driving sympatric population divergence
- The evolutionary trade-off between T-cell and MHC diversity in natural populations
- Functional pleiotropy of HLA alleles in infectious and autoimmune diseases
- Genomic architecture and evolution of migratory traits in songbirds
- Evolutionary dynamics and controlling factors of meiotic recombination hotspots
- Evolutionary genetics of REPINs and RAYTs
- Unravelling the evolutionary dynamics (and genetics) of lineage selection
- Eco-evolutionary dynamics of host-associated microbial communities
- Eco-evolutionary dynamics
- Phylogenetic tree rooting and inference of lateral gene transfer
- Evolutionary metagenomics of foraminifera residing in oxygen minimum zones
- The impact of polyploidization on flowering time control in rapeseed
- Use of fungal model systems to address evolutionary questions
- The molecular evolution of the arms race of plants against herbivores
- The evolutionary basis of metabolic disorders. Understanding complex regulatory networks that control metabolic traits using the fruit fly as a model
- Ancient ways to protect cells from premature death – how to deal with Parkinson’s disease and Diabetes
- How does the brain-gut axis contribute to maintain intestinal homeostasis
- Rapid antibiotic resistance evolution
- The evolution of Worm-microbiome interactions
- Evolutionary dynamics of grass pathogens in natural ecosystems
- Evolution and functional divergence of pathogenicity determinants in fungal grass pathogens
- Microbial population adaptation to changing natural environments
- Lifestyle evolution in marine sponge symbionts
This year´s application round is now open, application deadline is on April 23, 2017.
Applications must include the following items:
Motivation letter (including a statement to your special evolutionary interests) for applying to this program (maximum 2 pages). Please also quote an evolutionary topic that you would like to be questioned on during the possible interview(s).
Curriculum vitae (CV) with personal details (including birth date), contact address, details on exams and courses taken (incl grades and a description how to read them), publications (if any) and all other relevant personal information (maximum 2 pages).
Up to three names of academic teachers who could provide reference letters.
Preference list of three specific projects that you could imagine to work with during your possible PhD, including a short statement on the reason for the choice (maximum 1 page – note that this list is not binding in case you are admitted to the program).
We assume you will be flexible regarding your choice of research project since we cannot guarantee you a place in the group of your main preference.
Here you can find the groups and projects, which are available this year: list of projects
If you want to apply, please prepare your motivation letter, CV, names of references and preference list in a single pdf document. We only accept complete online applications using this application form:
You have to upload your prepared pdf file during the application process. After the successful application process, you will receive a confirmation mail.
If you have any further questions, please contact us by email: email@example.com
Good luck with your application!
PhD Program | 10 PhD positions @ International Max Planck Research School for Evolutionary BiologyView Original Notification Apply Online