PhD Program | Entrance examination @ NCBS/inStem Bangalore:
Candidates are invited to apply in response to advertisements issued by the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai appearing nationally in the last week of August/first week of September every year.
Note: We will update you guys once the official notification is out.
- The PhD program at NCBS/inStem accepts candidates with a Masters in any basic science discipline, including biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics; or a basic degree in any applied science such as medicine, engineering, pharmacy and veterinary science.
How to apply for PhD program @ NCBS/inStem:
- All applicants are required to take a written test conducted in December.
- Candidates who have qualified the CSIR/ICMR/Gate exam are also required to apply for this entrance test for admission to the PhD program at NCBS/inStem.
- The test assesses basic analytical skills and +2 level mathematics, physics, chemistry and biology.
- There is no specified syllabus, nor do we give out sample question papers.
- NCBS/inStem sends out an application package to students who qualify the written test for the next phase of the selection procedure.
- Performance in the written test, together with the information requested in the application package is used to short-list candidates for interviews at Bangalore in May/June.
- Interviews typically comprise two rounds.
- The details of these will be provided to candidates short-listed for the interviews.
The new academic year begins in August.
Students are eligible to register for a PhD at the TIFR Deemed University typically 1.5-2 years from the date of joining, after meeting coursework requirements and passing a comprehensive examination.
NCBS/inStem offers state-of-the art facilities for modern biology (see, Research Infrastructure at http://www.ncbs.res.in) and comfortable housing for students selected into the program.
Student life at NCBS/inStem is enriched by a range of seminars, meetings and workshops.
This provides opportunities for our students, to interact with students and faculty from other research institutions and Universities in the country and abroad.
Student participation in international meetings and workshops both within the country and outside is actively encouraged with every effort made to provide full or partial support for travel.
NCBS/inStem offers an in-house course program to its graduate students, which is supplemented by international courses conducted on our campus.
We also have active collaborative research programs involving student exchanges, with laboratories across the world.
Our research programs cover a wide range of disciplines, on scales ranging from single molecules to ecosystems.
We actively encourage research initiatives that span multiple disciplines within biology, as well as interactions with the physical sciences.
With the energy of youth and the vigorous admixture of inputs from diverse backgrounds, the Centre is kept in ferment, receptive of new ideas and striving to build on accomplishments.
Queries about the PhD program can be addressed to: [email protected]