Professor Position in Microbial Proteomics @ DTU, Denmark: DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and public service. Our staff of 5,800 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society; and our 10,300 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government, and public agencies.
DTU Biosustain is an international research center of excellence developing next generation cell factories and bioprocesses for sustainable production of high-value chemical compounds as well as protein-based products. The center uses advanced metabolic engineering techniques and computational biology ensuring efficient and cost-effective design and construction processes.
The center’s activities are a balanced mix of basic and translational research, complemented by an emphasis on business development to facilitate commercialization of new cell factories and associated technologies. DTU Biosustain offers state-of-the-art research facilities and assembles world leaders in the field thus offering a unique platform providing excellent talent development and career opportunities.
The Center is based upon a long term grant from the Novo Nordisk Foundation to DTU and it was inaugurated in 2011. It has now more than 220 employees and is still growing.
Professor Position in Microbial Proteomics @ DTU
DTU Biosustain invites applications for a position as a part-time (20% FTE) Professor in Microbial Proteomics.
DTU Biosustain is looking to expand its activities on characterizing the impact of protein phosphorylation on bacterial cell factories, namely the control of metabolic fluxes or adaptation to high-density conditions in bioreactors. For this purpose, the department seeks to recruit an established Professor of bacteriology, experienced with protein phosphorylation, to conduct and supervise research activities on phosphoproteome analysis and physiological characterization of phosphorylation events in bacterial cell factories relevant for the activities of our Center.
Responsibilities and tasks
The part-time position, with 20% FTE appointment, involves high-level research, publication, and scientific dissemination as well as external collaboration and research management. In addition, assignments may include:
- Exchange of knowledge with society (outreach)
- Development of phosphoproteomics approaches
- Fundraising and project management
- PhD supervision
- Guidance and supervision of assistant professors and researchers
- Academic assessment work
The recruited Professor is expected to set up and run an independent research group, supported to a significant extent by external funding.
The successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the synergy of the activities developed at DTU Biosustain with that of their primary research appointment (the remaining 80% FTE).
The recruited professor will be expected to collaborate actively with all groups at DTU Biosustain working with bacteria. This collaboration will include, but not be limited to, joint research initiatives, joint grant applications, development of common analytical tools and platforms and joint student supervision.
The successful candidate will be responsible for supervising PhD students and is expected to be involved in other teaching activities related to bachelor and master level students.
The qualification requirements match those that apply to ordinary professorships at DTU. A particular emphasis will be placed on the candidate’s documented scientific production in the field of bacterial protein phosphorylation, and their capacity to continue developing this field. The qualification requirements are:
- High level of original scientific production at international level, which has contributed significantly to the development of the field
- Collaboration with academic and industrial partners (national and international)
- Successful track record of academic appointments
- Supervision of PhD students and postdoctoral fellows
- Experience with industrially relevant bacteria (cell factories)
- Solid experience with phosphor-proteomics of bacteria
- Management experience
- Professorship in bacteriology/microbiology at another academic institution will be considered an advantage in order to exploit synergies
In the assessment of the candidates consideration will be given to
- scientific production at international level, research potential and ability to lead and develop a research team
- the ability to promote and utilize research results
- experience with innovation activities
- an all-round experience basis, including international experience
- the ability to contribute to the development of the internal and external cooperation
- track record in attracting funding to the research area
- visions within the research area
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
The employment is limited to 4 years, with an opportunity for extension.
Further information | Professor Position in Microbial Proteomics @ DTU
Further information may be obtained from the Chief Operating Officer Bo Skjold Larsen, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can read more about DTU Biosustain at http://www.biosustain.dtu.dk/english
Please submit your online application no later than 1 July 2016.
Applications must be submitted as one pdf file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link “Apply online,” fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one pdf file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter) addressed to the President
- Diploma (MSc/PhD/Habilitation if applicable)
- List of publications indicating scientific highlights
- A plan for future research
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Professor Position in Microbial Proteomics @ DTUView Original Notification Apply Online