Research Assistant Zoology Recruitment @ RGCB, Kerala: The Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology (RGCB) is a growing phenomenon. Located in Thiruvananthapuram, the capital city of Kerala, RGCB began in 1990 amongst humble surroundings as a small charitable society called the Centre for Development of Education, Science and Technology (C-DEST).
Research Assistant Zoology Recruitment @ RGCB, Kerala
Date of posting: 02.11.2016
The mission of the RGCB – Animal Research Facility (ARF) is to support RGCB investigators in performing their animal research while ensuring appropriate and humane care of all laboratory animals. The Research Assistant is responsible for performing routine animal husbandry duties and technical procedures in one or more animal facilities. This temporary project position will initially be for one year.
DETAILED JOB DESCRIPTION
- Sanitize animal rooms, cages, equipment, corridors & support areas by using appropriate techniques to promote animal health & welfare and to comply with RGCB ARF policies.
- Perform routine animal husbandry duties including cleaning, feeding, and watering of laboratory animal species. Follow established policies, procedures, safety and infection control guidelines.
- Under appropriate supervision, anticipate, coordinate and perform various specialized technical procedures as assigned (including set up breeding pairs; check for plugs; wean, sex, and tail biopsy rodents; implement environmental enrichment program; collect biological samples; assist in administering injections, research procedures, etc.).
- Handle and restrain animals by using appropriate techniques to allow for the care and research to be performed in a safe and humane manner.
- Receive and transport animals using appropriate methods
- Communicate observations to appropriate animal facility management and research personnel as required in a timely manner.
- Observe animals in assigned work areas and report any sick, injured or distressed animals to the veterinary staff in a timely manner.
- Perform euthanasia as requested following RGCB approved guidelines.
- Maintain accurate and complete records including, but not limited to: animal health reports, medical, breeding colony, and inventory records, husbandry and environmental enrichment logs, etc. in consultation with veterinary surgeons.
- Assist in stocking of supplies in animal housing rooms.
- Perform routine maintenance of equipment within assigned work area (e.g. ventilated cages, HEPA filtered workstations, and related equipment). Report any malfunctioning equipment in a timely manner.
- Attend in-house training classes to become more knowledgeable in laboratory animal science.
- Practice a high level of integrity and honesty
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
MINIMUM ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in Zoology
- Good written, verbal and organizational skills required
- Willingness to work successfully as a member of a team, ability to communicate effectively with faculty, graduate students and various administrative offices at all levels of the Institute.
PREFERRED ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Previous experience in a scientific animal research setting or academic environment preferred.
- Basic computer knowledge and skills preferred: MS Word, MS Excel, PowerPoint etc.
- Some knowledge of regulatory compliance and document control process, preferred
Below 28 years as on December 5, 2016.
Year One: Rs. 12,000 + 20% HRA (consolidated) per month. Extension beyond the first year will depend on a good work review and evaluation report.
Initially for 1 year further extension beyond the first year will depend on a good work review and evaluation report.
Only those fulfilling the above criteria need apply and will be called for interview. In the event of more than 10 candidates being short-listed by screening the applications, a written test will be conducted before the selection interview and only those who are successful in the written test will be interviewed. No TA/ DA will be given for appearing in the interview.
How to Apply:
Suitably qualified candidates may send applications in the prescribed format (Download here) with a photograph, a copy of full resume indicating the percentage of Marks obtained and attested photocopies of credentials & experience to reach the undersigned on or before 5th December, 2016. Envelopes must be superscripted with abbreviated title of the project, advertisement number and job title. Selection to the position will not entitle the candidate to any future positions at RGCB (permanent or otherwise). As with all project positions at RGCB, the position will be co terminus with end of the project.
View Original Notification: http://rgcb.res.in/temporary-position-available-arf-01-02-11-16.php