Senior Research Associate, Downstream Process Development: Ultragenyx is a clinical stage biotechnology company committed to bringing to market novel products for the treatment of rare and ultra-rare diseases with an initial focus on serious debilitating metabolic genetic diseases.
Founded in 2010, the company has rapidly built a diverse portfolio of both large and small molecule candidates with the potential to address diseases for which the unmet medical need is high, the biology for treatment is clear, and for which there are no approved therapies.
Senior Research Associate, Downstream Process Development
With the company’s recent acquisition of Dimension Therapeutics, the Ultragenyx Gene Therapy division was established.
The Ultragenyx Gene Therapy division is headquartered in Cambridge, MA.
We are looking for exceptional individuals who share our passion for developing novel therapies to treat rare diseases and advancing the field of gene therapy.
The position will contribute to the development of improved AAV purification processes by improving individual unit operations or processes as a whole.
This role is expected support studies within the team, to generate and execute their own experimental designs, and generate material to support experiments.
The candidate is expected to work effectively both independently and as part of a cross-functional team.
This position is within the late-stage development arm of the process development group – encompassing process development, phase 3 readiness, and tech transfer.
The role will involve purification at both the bench and pilot scales.
- Actively contribute to programs to enhance AAV purification technologies/ capabilities and work-processes (such as media development, bioreactor fed-batch and perfusion process development, optimization and scale-up).
- Independently lead and execute research experiments in the area downstream purification and supportive assays (qPCR, ELISA, SDS-PAGE) as necessary
- Familiarity and comfort with technical writing, including internal report writing, regulatory filings, and abstracts/posters/manuscripts
- Must demonstrate a keen knowledge of experimental design, underlying scientific principles, and the ability to analyze and assess results.
- Ensure high-quality, timely documentation in electronic laboratory notebooks, technical reports and contribute to regulatory filings.
- Collects and controls experimental data and maintains accurate daily logs of experiments including methods, results, and conclusions.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Biochemistry, Biology, Chemical/Bioengineering or other related scientific disciplines with 1-5 years of biopharmaceutical experience
- Downstream processing experience
- Experience with recombinant viruses is a plus
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong collaboration, team-working skills, and communication skills
- Demonstrated independent and self-driven research with a strong publication record
- Independently motivated and detail-oriented with the good problem-solving ability