The Simons Foundation invites applications for postdoctoral fellowships to support research on fundamental problems in marine microbial ecology.
The foundation is particularly interested in applicants with training in different fields who want to apply their experience to understanding the role of microorganisms in shaping ocean processes, and vice versa, as well as applicants with experience in modeling or theory development.
While these cross-disciplinary applicants will receive particular attention, applicants already involved in ocean research are also encouraged to apply.
The foundation anticipates awarding five fellowships in 2018.
Eligibility | Simons Postdoctoral Fellowships in Marine Microbial Ecology
Applicants should have received their Ph.D. or equivalent degree within three years of the fellowship’s start date. Preference will be for applicants with no more than one year of postdoctoral experience. Applicants may be citizens of any country. Awards can only be issued to nonprofit research universities or research institutions in the U.S.
Award | Simons Postdoctoral Fellowships in Marine Microbial Ecology
The award is for three years, contingent upon satisfactory annual progress reports, and will include an annual stipend of $62,000 and an annual allowance of up to $25,000. The allowance may be spent on health insurance for the fellow and family, other benefits as required by the institution, research supplies, small equipment (including computers), attendance at scientific meetings, and other research-related travel. Up to $2,000 of the allowance may be used for relocation of the fellow and family to the host institution. Relocation costs must be in accordance with the policies of the host institution. Payment cannot be made directly to fellows. No indirect or overhead costs may be charged. Policies and procedures governing this award can be found at the following link.
Simons Postdoctoral Fellowships in Marine Microbial Ecology
Applications must include:
- Short summary of prior research experience and a personal autobiographical statement (two pages)
- Brief research proposal with title (two to three pages, plus references and one page for figures)
- Biosketches of the applicant and sponsor, including publications
- Technical abstract
- Letters of recommendation from applicant’s thesis advisor and two additional research scientists, and letter of support from the postdoctoral research sponsor, who must acknowledge acceptance of the applicant to his or her laboratory. Confidential letters must be submitted through proposalCENTRAL (see instructions) by June 15, 2018.
- Budget (three years)
- Brief budget justification
- Renewable reagents and data-sharing plan
- Signed signature page with institutional approval to document the commitment from the fellow’s institution(s) to administer the fellowship
How to Apply | Simons Postdoctoral Fellowships in Marine Microbial Ecology
All proposals must be completed electronically and submitted using forms provided at proposalCENTRAL. To submit your proposal:
- Log in to proposalCENTRAL using your username and password. If you are a new user, click on the create one now button under application login. Your registered email also works as your username. If you forgot your log-in information, you can retrieve your username and password from proposalCENTRAL by clicking the forgot your username/password? a link under application login.
- To apply, after you log in, select the gray grant opportunities tab on the right side of the page and scroll down to the Simons Foundation section. Then click on apply now in the life sciences – simons postdoctoral fellowships in marine microbial ecology row. For assistance with proposalCENTRAL, please call 800-875-2562 or email [email protected].
- Application available:
- Application deadline:
- Applicants notified of funding decisions:
- Accept or decline deadline:
- Fellowships commence: October 1, 2018 – April 1, 2019